Friday, June 11, 2010

Hyperemesis Gravidarum






The words I never wanted to hear again after watching my kid sis go thru what she did while pregnant with my niece: Hyperemesis Gravidarum. It is the most awful thing I could ever imagine to go thru outside of a disease. My sister was hospitalized over 30 times to get nausea and vomiting meds and fluids to rehydrate her after vomiting non-stop. That's just what the condition is... severe nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.



It seems to have hit me full force at 6 weeks and is only getting worse. I have already made 2 trips to the ER because nothing will stay down. If this goes on for too long it can cause a miscarriage. (The dehydration part.) So naturally I'm toughing it out as much as I can but if anyone has ever had this, you know you can only take so much. It's horrible. I'm completely miserable and I won't lie, I don't want to leave the hospital.



In a nut shell, there is not one second of the day or night that you do not have nausea. Sometimes it's intense enough to vomit and all the other seconds of the day you just don't know if you are going to vomit or not. You are starving but scared to eat. Nauseous but trying to eat for your baby's sake and the sake of the awful hunger pains to go away. You vomit pretty much everything you get down whether it be food or drink. You feel like death and honestly death sounds like your only way out at times.



I don't leave the house unless I have to. I'm never far from my puke bucket or a place to throw up because you never know when it will hit. There is no warning, you just vomit. There is no way to tell sometimes because the nausea is so bad all day that there is no deciphering the difference. This gets so bad for pregnant women that they have support groups just for the condition. Crazy right? It seems to run very high in the family and was so generously passed to me this time around. I thought I had it bad last time when I would get nauseous here and there. Now I'm never not nauseous!
On a good note this last trip... They looked at baby this time and we are measuring not 1 but 2 days ahead now! I don't know if I should be worried with Nick being nearly 10 lbs at birth lol! I guess we will see if this growing streak continues. They admitted me to keep watch for 24 hours which I was not expecting. My potassium was very low so they had to give me supplements for that. I had 3 bags of fluids and nothing to eat for 2 days. That part was awful. A cup of jello and some broth in 48 hours. My stomach was in so much pain.

I'm praying on everything good in the world that this ends after my first trimester. I'm not very faithful in this prayer tho because my mother and sister had it last the entire time. I mean puking while giving birth time. No breaks. No mercy. I must end this to get sick now... Bye.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Nikki! I hope you are feeling better soon! Maybe water or ice chips will help keep you hydrated at home?

    ReplyDelete