Thursday, November 19, 2009

Lovenox isnt so loveable


So the doctor has decided I go on an anti-coagulate injection to help prevent any clotting issues that may be attributed to the many losses I've had in the past. It's the closest thing to an answer they can come up with. Which is fine with me because I now have something to feel better about. They are extremely unpleasant though as anyone would probably have guessed. It's 40MG in a flimsy pre-filled syringe that has to be injected every 24 hours into the stomach region.


My first shot was awful. Into the stomach was definitely a new area to put a needle in. Thank goodness it's only subcutaneous (into the skin vs into the muscle). The bruising was hideous. In three hours I had a huge purple spot and I took one look at it and thought 'wow! 1 week of this and I won't be able to show my tummy off at all, let alone in 8 months'. Well, Nick thought about it and said there has got to be an easier way to do this so I typed in Lovenox tummy injections into Google and up popped a YouTube video of a girl doing these shots for IVF treatment. She was covered in a few nice black and blues herself and I thought that was just how it had to be. But as I listened to her explaining it she said how she found a new way to help with the bruising. If she inserted the needle very slowly and did not pinch the area then the bruiaing was greatly minimized. Of course this came with a price... Lots more pain! Yay.


So in went the second needle the next night, slow as I could. Ugh! But behold - the bruising was definitely lessened. My 3rd shot was even better :) And it goes back and forth depending on how I do it and such. Sometimes a little bruising and sometimes I get lucky with none at all. Besides the increased pain that comes with slow and steady and not pinching the skin, I found that I am very pain tolerant on my right side and not so much on the left. I am actually starting to look forward to the nights I have to do the injections on the right side. LOL. Pathetic huh? But, at this point in my life, if I had to do them twice a day... I would. To know that something is finally being done to keep this little growing miracle safe I would do anything. So, bring on the shots. Only 232 more days right?...

No comments:

Post a Comment